Atrial Fibrillation Review
– (abbreviated to AF) is a condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heartbeat. It can affect adults of any age, but becomes more common as you get older. Atrial fibrillation isn’t usually life threatening, but it can be uncomfortable, is a risk factor for stroke and often requires treatment.
Due to your condition and any medication you are taking, it is important that you have a check-up each year. To help make it easy for you to remember when your check-up is due, the Practice aims see you during the month of your birthday.
There are 2 steps to your annual review:
- The first step is to have an appointment with a Healthcare Assistant for your blood test and blood pressure check.
- The second step is an appointment with a Practice Nurse to discuss your test results and your AF.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why do I need to wait a week to see the Practice Nurse?
It can take a few days for blood tests to be processed by the hospital and the results to be sent to the GP Surgery.
I have more than one condition which needs a yearly check-up.
Can I have a single check-up for everything?
Yes. You may need to book a longer appointment with the Practice Nurse. Your nurse will indicate below what length appointment is needed for your combination of conditions.
You will NOT be contacted to remind you that your check-up is due. Near your birthday, please call Portcullis GP Surgery on:
01584 872 939 after 10:00am and make 2 appointments:
- First appointment – with a Healthcare Assistant for a blood test and blood pressure check.
- Second appointment – with a Practice Nurse at least 1 week later to discuss the results of your tests and your conditions.