Accessible Information Standard
Making Health Care Information Accessible
The aim of the accessible information standard is to make sure that people with a medical condition which affects their ability to communicate, get information that they can access and understand, and have any communication support they might need
The standard tells organisations how to make information accessible to people in the format they need, as well as support people’s communication needs, for example by offering support from a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter, deafblind manual interpreter or an advocate.
NHS England has produced the resources below to provide an update on the accessible information standard:
- Accessible Information Standard (PDF)
- Accessible Information Standard (easy read) (PDF)
- Accessible Information Standard (audio) (MP3)
Accessible Information Standard – British Sign Language (video and subtitles) (YouTube video)
At Portcullis Surgery, we want to make sure that we are communicating with you in a way that is easy for you and that you can understand:
- We want to know if you need information in a specific format e.g. braille, large print or easy read
- We want to know if you need to receive information in a particular way
- We want to know if you need someone to support you at appointments e.g. a sign language interpreter or an advocate
- We want to know if you lipread or use a hearing aid or communication tool
Charities including Action on Hearing Loss, Sense and the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) will also be able to provide further support.
We will be collecting this information initially for new patients on registering, and for patients who are known to the practice to have a disability or sensory loss which requires communication via a specific method. If you require a specific method of communication because of a disability or sensory loss, please inform the practice as soon as possible to ensure this information is recorded.
You can download this form and post/hand it into the Surgery: